Thursday, December 25, 2014

It Worked for Me - Olimex MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV

I ordered two MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV devices from MicroController Pros LLC and as luck would have it they arrived December 24th just in time for Christmas.

Today I soldered on the pins, plugged one into a breadboard and connected them to a FTDI Basic 3.3V from Sparkfun.  I connected the FTDI Basic to the MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV like this:

FTDI ESP8266-DEV
DTR  
RX1 Pin 3
TX1 Pin 4
V3.3 Pin 1
CTS  
GND Pin 2

Then I connected the FTDI Basic to my computer and set the COM port to 115200 and typed in AT and go an OK back.  Next up was to connect to my wifi network and this took me a bit of time.  I found out that you needed to execute the following commands:

AT+CWMODE=3 – this sets the mode so it will connect to access points.

AT+RST – this will reset the device and in my case the device had to be reset after it was changed to CWMODE=3.  Until I reset it all I got was ERROR responses back.

AT+CWLAP – this will get you a list of the WAPs it sees.

AT+CWJAP=”<ssid>”,”<password>” – this will connect you to your wifi network.

AT+CWJAP? – this will tell you if you are connected.

AT+CIFSR – this will give you the IP address of the card.  You should be able to ping this.

More to follow…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have experience on connect Olimex MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV to arduino?