So after almost a month of off and on work, including a couple of very late nights, I have decided to shelve this project since I am not able to get the ease of use or the quality I am looking for.
One area I did not pursue was to hack into the Wii using one of the well publicized hacks and setup a Homebrew Channel. This would allow me to run code on the Wii with the same capabilities as official software. There were several options that looked very promising.
For now, when I want to run slideshows or videos on my TV via the Wii, I will use the Wii's Photo Channel and sneaker.net to move the images and videos from my PC to the Wii.